Thursday, November 7, 2013

Roasted Acorn Squash



Here we are in the heart of fall.  Whether it's my imagination or not, I feel like I'm embracing fall more this year, especially in the kitchen.  It's feels like my dishes are hearty and the kinds that you want to curl up with next to a fireplace.

Lot of cinnamon, nutmeg, parsnips, pumpkin-infused flavors.  I wanted to try a different vegetable this week, as I feel like I'm falling into a kale rut and we need to move out of yellow squash.  I was hoping to get a butternut squash, but there were none available.  No eggplant, either, so I went back to the squash section and saw an acorn squash.

Last night, I made the acorn squash as the vegetable to our main dish.  I chopped it in half and scooped out the seeds and strings.  With some melted butter, I rubbed the inside of the squash and then sprinkled some salt over the acorn.  I then took some brown sugar and rubbed that on the melted butter, hoping to get it nice and carmelized in the oven.  The remnants of the melted butter made their way down into the bowl of the squash along with some excess brown sugar, creating a nice little soupy mix.

I roasted it off in a 375 oven for 1 hour.  I served each half on the plate and we each scooped our own squash out.  It was quite tender and had a great brown sugar flavor with the touch of butter, as well.  I'll probably make this at least one more time this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment