Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Leeks, Tomato, Goat Cheese in a Puff Pastry Shell



As I've mentioned numerous times before, a lot of our meals are determined by DB~ seeing a recipe (usually on Pinterest) and then saying "Can you make this?"  (or something close to it).

Before I met DB~, it would have been strange for me to eat a vegetarian meal for dinner.  I suppose it was my upbringing with a fairly traditional meat-and-potatoes family, but even on pasta nights we had meatballs and sausage.  I'm counting seafood as a protein, in this case, as well.  I'm taking straight up veggies only type of meal.

But here we are and it seems that at least once or twice a week, I'm nomming down a meal with nary a piece of land animal or sea animal flesh in sight.  And I'm OK with that.

This concoction was based off of a picture of flatbread with these various ingredients on it.  I modified it to use Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry Shells (not the sheets).  I took all six shells out and  egg-washed the tops of them.  I then put them in the oven at 425 F for 20 minutes to pre-bake.

While that was going on I sauteed some leeks in olive oil with a dash of garlic salt and pepper to soften them up.  I cut up a tomato to small puff pastry shell-sized pieces and crumbled goat cheese.  When the leeks were done after about 10 minutes, DB~ squeezed some fresh lemon juice on them.

I took the puff pastry shells out of the oven and cut the tops off of them.  I then layered on (in this order) goat cheese, tomato, leek, and replaced the top of the shell.  I put them back in the oven for another 8-10 minutes to get all the flavors mingled and the cheese to soften even more.

I made a side of roasted asparagus as well, with parmesean cheese sprinkled on top after it was taken out of the oven.  A small portion of rice completed the meal.

It's OK to not eat a dead animal, typed the blogger as he was on his way out the door for a hamburger tonight....

2 comments:

  1. Mmm...I guess I like leeks.~

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bride and I have typically been going meatless several days during the week for a couple years now(been backsliding slightly of late, since the new puppy landed). May give this a shot. She loooves the goat cheese.

    ReplyDelete