Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Shrimp Stir Fry with Daikon


On Tuesday, I cooked an Asian meal for us. I wanted to do some different textures and cuts on the vegetables to make it interesting. I peeled the skin off of 2 carrots and then continued peeling them into thin slices in the bowl. I then julienned a handful of celery sticks, diced some red peppers, and diced some white onions. I added some canned baby corns, as well. I put 1/2 tsp of white pepper into the bowl for some spice and mixed it all up.

I bought daikon, which is a Japanese radish, but didn't want to put it in the stir fry and overpower the rest of the veggies. I read up about daikon and saw that it is popular shredded and mixed in a ponzu sauce (citrus flavored soy sauce). So I got out the shredder and did a medium shred on the peeled daikon. I squeezed all the water out of the daikon and put in a small bowl. On the side, I mixed 2/3 cup of orange juice and splashed in some soy sauce. Once I was happy with the taste, sweet yet salty, I poured the faux-ponzu sauce on the daikon and let it soak in to it.

I stir-fried the vegetables in a bottled stir-fry sauce and at the end put 12 shrimp in to the wok to cook for 2-3 minutes. I kept the daikon on the side and it complemented the spicy stir fry quite well. On the side I had some store-bought egg rolls as well.

I served the dinner with chopsticks to give DB~ and I a challenge, too. Everything turned out quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment