Friday, January 6, 2012

New Year's Eve 2011 - We Were Crabby


As mentioned previously on this blog, DB~ and I are not huge fans of New Year's Eve. Each year that we've been together, we have just stayed in by ourselves and I've cooked us a nice dinner. In 2009, it was grilled quail and in 2010 it was steak for me and salmon for DB~. Last week, we went down to the Strip District on New Year's Eve Day and shopped around.

I tried in vain to convince her to let me cook rabbit for dinner from Jo-Mar Meats. As soon as we walked into Wholey's, to our right was a huge display case of crab legs. The King Crab Legs were $17.95/lb so we got 1.5 pounds of them. That was about 7 or 8 legs, which the fishmonger assured us was a good portion for 2 people.

The legs in most places, if red/pinkish, are already cooked so for dinner I just put them in a large stock pot of water for 6 minutes to heat them up. I seasoned the water in the pot with Old Bay, plus I melted some butter in a saucepan and combined that with some Old Bay for a dipping sauce.

I get frustrated with things very easily, so cracking crab legs for me was a recipe for frustration. Eventually, I just started smashing them and extracting little chunks of meat. All the while, DB~ was patiently cracking the legs at the knuckle and pulling out the whole segment of beautiful meat.

I served the crab legs with some hush puppies we bought at Wholey's and a roasted Eggplant dish I created that was not one of my finer creations. All in all, it was another very good New Year's Eve dinner and we didn't have to pay inflated prices, be rushed at dinner, or deal with a bunch of drunks on the road or in bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment