Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Italian Shrimp with Redskin Potatoes

I love to cook from scratch with no plan sometimes and I also love to clean out my refrigerator. Sometimes this can lead to catastrophic consequences, but this recipe was not one of those occasions. It was awesome from Jump Street.

I first boiled 6 smallish redskin potatoes with the skins on.

While that was going, I rough chopped 1/2 of a medium white onion and sliced 2 garlic cloves. I sauteed these in some olive oil over medium heat until the garlic was browning and the onion translucent.

As the onion and garlic were going in the skillet, I took out a can of diced tomatoes (always, always keep 2 of these on hand at all times...so handy) and pureed them in a food processor.

Once the onion/garlic had sauteed, I spooned in the pureed tomatoes, added some dried oregano and let that marry together for a few minutes.

I deveined about 5 shrimp while the skillet mixture was working itself into a lather. Once the potatoes were fork tender, I put them on a cutting board and quartered them. I added these into the tomato/garlic/onion skillet and let them cook down for a few minutes.

Finally, I added the shrimp and covered them up with the sauce. I let them cook for about 4 minutes until the flesh got springy and white.

I served this with some green beans covered in a cooked-down glaze of mango-orange juice and cinammon, plus a couple of rolls. Eatin' good in DBS's neighborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment