Thursday, October 17, 2013

Shrimp Fritters



For whatever reason, I've never been able to make a good beer batter.  I've tried numerous times to make beer battered shrimp and it has turned out poorly.  This has bothered me to no end.

So I found a recipe on Saveur's website for Shrimp Fritters.  It called for using chickpea flour, but there was no way I was going to search and then buy that, so I substituted corn meal instead.

1/2 lb of peeled/deveined shrimp, chopped fine
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup of corn meal
2 tbsp of flour
1/2 tsp of paprika
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 of a yellow onion, diced

Lemon wedges to squeeze on top
Salt and pepper to season when done

I sauteed the onions in a tbsp of oil until soft and set aside
In a bowl, I mixed the dry ingredients together, then added the onions and shrimp.  I mixed this together and let it set up for 10 minutes.

In a skillet, I heated the oil and then put about 1 tablespoon of shrimp batter into the hot skillet.  I got about 7 out of this recipe and fried them all at once.

I fried them for 2-3 minutes on medium-high heat, being careful not to burn the sides, and then flipped them over.

I patted them dry, sprinkled salt/pepper on them, and squeezed the lemon juice on top.  They were good, but next time I'm going to add some garlic into the batter for some extra flavor.  At least I finally made a good batter (w/o beer) that I can use in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment