Friday, September 7, 2012

Chilled Avacado Soup



As I mentioned in the last post, my zest for cooking was recently re-kindled by Saveur magazine's Ode to Mexico issue.  The same night we had the salsa verde enchiladas, we started off the night with an appetizer of chilled avocado soup.

I typically don't like chilled soups, but this one was fresh and light.  It was a great way to open up a meal of Mexican, which can at times get a little heavy.

I slightly modified Saveur's recipe to this:
2 avocados, pitted and chopped
1 2-oz can of green chiles, divided in half
1/2 Spanish onion, diced
1 plum tomato, diced
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
Juice of 1 lime
Pepper and salt to taste

I put the 2 avocados, half of the diced onion, half of the green chiles into the food processor.  Once it was pureed into a paste, I slowly fed the heavy cream and chicken stock through the chute until the mixture was a  creamy soup.

Once it came out of the food processor, I strained it to remove some of the seeds and pulpy matter, but I didn't get as much out as I would have liked.  After the straining, I placed a tiny cluster of the tomato, onion, and chiles on the surface of the soup to resemble the Mexican flag.  This was then served to my DB~ for her culinary approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment