Saturday, April 14, 2012

Square Cafe

DB~ and I had a Groupon to use at the Square Cafe over in Regent Square, so we went today for a brunch-time visit. Regent Square is an interesting little neighborhood adjacent to Frick Park. There's some gourmet restaurants (Root 147 and the interesting looking Cibo) right across Braddock Avenue from some dirty old man bars.

A "high end consignment shop" (whaaa?!?) is next to an art gallery, right down the block from a corner express quickie-mart type of place. So it's kind of trying to find its new identity is what I'm saying.

The Square Cafe was jammed to the gills when we got there. After a short wait, we were shoe-horned into a tiny table in the corner at the back of the restaurant. It was awkwardly placed, as the very corner table had a chair turned perpendicular to our table -- this allowed each patron that sat there to back right into me and crowd my space.

I'm not a huge breakfast guy, but I felt compelled to try one of their many delectable sounding dishes. I was all set to get the Cinnamon Bun pancakes when DB~ pointed out Lemon Ricotta Pancakes on the menu. I'm guessing that the ricotta is folded into the mix in lieu of some of the milk. Lemon zest was sprinkled on top of the pancakes with a dollop of whipped cream. They were fantastic.



DB~ is an egg girl for breakfast. If you are too, this is your place. They have a wide variety of omelettes, fritatas, and dishes that incorporate scrambled eggs into them (a chorizo and egg dish was calling out to me). She ended up going with the tasty Asparagus and Goat Cheese Fritata. It came with a side of arugala/field greens that was more window dressing than side dish, as there was no oil or vinegar on it.



There were a lot of artistic types around us. We overheard some tables talking about their upcoming gigs for music or their shows for art. There were some young jocks fresh from working out in Frick Park. Young and old hippies doing whatever dirty hippies do on Saturdays.

It was a cool place and we would definitely go back. So why does the Square Cafe in Regent Square have only circles for their logo?

2 comments:

  1. Well, I am a huge breakfast fan and I've been wanting to go here for awhile. While it was kind of pricey ($20 for just pancakes and a fritata...no side of toast or sausage with the pancakes), I would definitely go back. Not sure if you included the link... http://www.square-cafe.com/ ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice catch, DB~. I updated it with a link.

    ReplyDelete