Saturday, March 6, 2010

Mojo Bistro - hidden jewel in Bellevue

Last night, DB~ and I had dinner with 4 other people at Mojo Bistro in Bellevue. It was my 3rd time eating at this place, but last night may have been the best.

It's a small, uh...bistro, I guess at the tail end of Lincoln Avenue in Bellevue before you descend into the Ben Avon/Ben Avon Heights area. The food leans Cajun-influenced, but it's not a New Orleans-style of place...there's just hints of it here and there in the dishes.

It is very small, with probably only 8 tables or so, but definitely worth checking out. I believe it is only open for dinner (5-9:30).

Last night, among the six of us, here's what we ordered:
Shrimp and Grits (2 of us) - don't turn your nose up at the word grits. These are cheesy, very fine texture grits, with a hint of bacon. The shrimp are seasoned and chargrilled on top of them.
Lobster Ravioli (2 of us) - I tried one of DB~ and the sauce was fantastic. They're served on a skinny rectangular plate and you get 4-6 of them, I think.
Roasted Pork Tenderloin - I've had this before and it is fantastic. The pork is served in 3 medallions, each resting on a bed of rice and surrounded by sweet potatoes that are the best you will ever have. These are the sweet potatoes that I tried to reverse engineer on New Year's Eve.
Mojo Crabcakes - You get 2 crabcakes rakishly piled on top of each other with a delicious aoili drizzled over top. I don't remember what the sides were as the person eating it was across the table from me.

I also had a cup of creole gumbo at the start of the meal, which consisted of crawfish meat, andouille sausage, shrimp, rice, and the broth. It was fantastic.

We finished the night (and 2 bottles of wine, it's BYOB) with 3 desserts that we all shared. One was a ridiculously good Bailey's soaked cake of some sort, the other was Coconut Cream Pie, and the third was a pecan pie.

If you are looking for something different, check out this diamond in the rough in Bellevue.

www.mojobistro.com

No comments:

Post a Comment