Sunday, January 20, 2013

Avocado Fries


I like avocados.  I like fries.  But until DB~ found a recipe for avocado fries, I never thought of enjoying these two taste sensations together.  It's almost counter-intuitive to think about breading and frying something as soft as an avocado.  But the recipe that DB~ found was so easy that we decided to give it a shot.

We pitted an avocado and took the skin off.  Then the avocado was sliced into small wedges, placed in a milk-egg wash, then rolled in Panko bread crumbs.  Once the oil in the pan was hot (just medium-high), they were placed en masse into the skillet for only 20-30 seconds each side.  I tossed a little pepper on them as they were draining.

The taste was really interesting, with the exterior crunch of the breading disguising the softness of the avocado underneath.  These were paired with our ever-present kale chips as the sides for our also new main dish.

For the main dish, I boiled 4 lasagna noodles.  After draining them, I spread them on a cutting board and spooned ricotta cheese along their entire length -- leaving about 1 inch free on either end.  On top of the ricotta, I placed some diced tomatoes and spinach leaves.  I sprinkled some pepper and oregano on top of the whole entity and then rolled them up.

I baked them in the oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.  When they came out, I spooned on some basil cream sauce that I prepared separately.  The fries were quite tasty and easy to make.  We'll probably do them again this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment