Friday, July 22, 2011

Azul - where it all started


On Thursday night, DB~ and I had a date night of sorts. More like the calm before the storm of our wedding on Saturday. So we decided to go back to the place it all started, Azul in Leetsdale. Leetsdale is a fly speck of a municipality up Route 65 from Sewickley.

Our first date (DB~ says it wasn't a date, but she knows it was) was to cache together in the Sewickley area in mid-December. I asked her to pick the meeting place, but only tell me by coordinates, not the name. She picked one of her favorite restaurants.

After we cached all afternoon in December 2008, we went inside for some appetizers and drinks. Only last night did I find out that after that "encounter" with me, she went on a 2nd date that night! What a playa!

Last night's weather was a shade different from Dec 2008's weather, as it was holy beejezus hot last night. We figured we could enjoy some nice air conditioning, sip some beers, and have some great Mexican food. In the words of Meat Loaf "two outta three ain't bad".

When we got there, the place was packed solid. Couldn't even get a seat at the bar for a while. We waited about 30 minutes and were seated. We then realized that the AC wasn't on. At all. Sweat was pouring off of us. Our server wasn't super attentive, either, and didn't appear to have nearly as many tables as some other servers.

It took a very long time to get our food (braised beef enchiladas for me, fish tacos for the Squiggle). I had a salsa verde on mine that had a great amount of kick, sour cream drizzled over the enchilda and enough cool lettuce to give it crunch. The side of pinto beans were very smooth as well.

I was thinking about a lot of things last night while we were there. A lot of it had to do with the end of my single life. And I couldn't be happier about that because of DB~. Without her encouragement, this blog wouldn't exist. And then what would the six of you that read it do for food, travel, and Pirate advice?

1 comment:

  1. Five other people read this? Aren't you popular.

    I have to level with you.....four of those five are probably me. The fifth MIGHT be your girlfriend(by the sound of it/by the time you get to read this, I should probably say your wife . Congrats on that).

    MIGHT.

    Y'know, I thought how I met my wife was a bit "non-mainstream/uncool".....until you 'fessed up that you met, not only to geocache, but via coordinates only. That, my friend, takes the nerd cake(the one covered in 2 layers of nerd fondant and filled with a hazelnerd cream).

    NTTAWT. Again, congrats.

    (I must admit....I'm dying to know if her second date that night also received his directions via "co-ordinates only" too, but had more trouble than you did. It'd be semi-humorous(to me, but then I'm kind of easy to amuse) if the fact that you guys are married now is due largely to your ability to use a Garmin better than some yinzer from Turtle Creek. :))

    ReplyDelete